A Proud History
Harvey Goodman relocated from Akron to St. Clairsville, Ohio in the mid-1940’s with his wife Isabelle, daughter Reynette, and son John. Harvey saw a need for housing in St. Clairsville and had the vision to purchase farms and began developing subdivisions and building homes. St. Clairsville, a small rural community at the time began to grow partly due to Harvey’s foresight.
In 1956 as a means to sell the newly built houses Harvey Goodman started a small real estate brokerage company with only one salesperson. These were the first days of the firm we know today as Harvey Goodman Realtor.
Harvey’s first development venture was the purchase of a 90-acre farm on West Main Street in St. Clairsville, Ohio. This became the basis of the Hillview Heights development. From this endeavor, several new streets were created and St. Clairsville began its steady, strong growth. Streets in this development included Hutchinson, Sunset, Johnette, Iona, Circle, Harbel, Coroline, Gaywood, Overlook Court, and Patti Drives. Harvey and his family were very active in the St. Clairsville community, including having helped spearhead the creation of St. Clairsville Food Pantry and Memorial Park a well-known landmark in the community, which is cherished and enjoyed to this day.
In the late 1970’s Harvey Goodman passed the responsibility and privileges of running the family real estate business to his son John Goodman. John’s vision and leadership set the foundation that would carry the company forward for many years. Land development, construction, and real estate sales all flourished during this time. Harvey Goodman Realtor and its affiliated companies had become the premier real estate firm in the region.
Building St. Clairsville
Notable Goodman developments under John have been Silver Maple Estates, Oakview Addition which consisted of Anna and Roberto Drives. Valeview Subdivisions on the north side of St. Clairsville, these streets include Crisswill, Greentree, Millrose and Pinecrest. John also developed Plaza West located west of St. Clairsville, a popular commercial development that provides banking, food service, grocery, medical services, and offices.
Goodman Properties Today
Today there is a third generation of Goodman’s involved in the Family Business. Jay Goodman, CCIM moved back to the area in 2012 after a rewarding career in real estate investment and sales in Chicago. Emily Goodman Shortall returned to her roots in 2015 after a 15 year illustrious career in Real Estate Management for a company based in Orange County, CA.
What started as a small, family operated real estate company, has grown to become a leading provider of real estate and related services in the mid-Ohio Valley region.
The Goodman business now is comprised of three primary companies. Harvey Goodman Realtor is a full-service brokerage firm, managed by John Sambuco, who has built the brokerage into the perennial market leader. Goodman Properties which provides quality housing and commercial space to a variety of tenants in Ohio and West Virginia. HGR Homes, the construction, development, and maintenance company which continues to provide quality construction throughout the region.